We are all very well aware that sleep is a big part of our lives and without an eight hours of sleep every night there are chances that our entire system might crash. But there is more to it. If you are having issues in having proper sleep or have any sort of injury then there are chances that your sleeping position is not right. The sleep position plays a great deal in the quality of the sleep and it is high time that you switch or change your sleeping positions.
The different sleeping positions hold different benefits and you will have to adopt one depending on your problems. Many brands, to multiply their sales process, would try selling you various products for having a peaceful sleep, but believe us, they would only cause more harm. If you are dealing with pain or other such health issues, then switching your sleeping position will help manage it. You can try this process while sleeping at night and you can see positive results. You will need time while training yourself for a new sleeping position but remember, this is the secret to improving your quality of sleep. Initially, you might find it uncomfortable but don’t stress. What you can do as an alternative is modify your favorite sleeping position to make sure that you can at least sleep comfortably. Our bodies are different and so we need to do exactly what works for our body and sleep. Below are mentioned some of the best sleeping positions that can put you into a comfortable sleep.
The Top Recommended Positions for Deep Sleep
- Fetal Position: This is one of the most popular sleep positions. This position has multiples of benefits and this position is not only beneficial for those with lower back pain but is also helpful for pregnant ladies. Also, sleeping in this position would help reduce snoring. Again, while you are trying to fix up your favorite position, make sure that you have enough space in your bed to sleep with the position. If you are a single person then you might want to have either a twin xl bed or a full bed for practicing the sleeping positions. Now, a simple comparative analysis between twin xl vs full beds.will really reveal the type of bed that you really want to sleep in. Twin XL beds are ideal beds for the single people who are about 6 feet tall and also for the growing teens. This bed has a dimension of about 38 inches wide and 80 inches long. Whereas a full bed, also known as a double bed can be used by the single adults who want some extra space on the beds while sleeping. Couples, who have smaller space in their rooms and are tight on budget can also use a full size bed but wont find any extra space in between. The dimension of a full size bed is 54 inches wide and 75 inches long.
So, for the singles, you can easily adjust to these beds and practice the sleeping positions especially the fetal position. But, this position also has a few ill effects. You will have to make sure that while you are practicing this position, your posture is loose or you won’t take deep breaths while in deep sleep. Also, those with issues related to joint pain and stiffness must avoid this position.
- Sleeping On The Side: Sleeping on the left side can be beneficial for the body. Sleeping in this position helps in proper digestion, heartburn and can also help reduce snoring. Also, be careful because always sleeping on the left side might cause stiffness in the shoulders. Also sleeping on the side might cause wrinkles as well.
- Lying On The Stomach: This is also one of the effective positions of having a good sleep. This is a good position to get rid of snoring. But you have to be careful as it can cause you neck or back pain. This position can also cause strains to the muscles and joints and you might wake up feeling sore and tired. You can try placing a pillow under your lower belly to reduce back pain.
- Lying On The Back: At times, sleeping on the back also offers some health benefits. Lying on your back can protect the spine and can also help get rid of hip and knee pain. Also putting a pillow behind the knees will help in supporting the curve at your back. This position also helps keep the skin looking fresh and prevents wrinkles. The disadvantage is that sleeping on the back does not help get rid of snoring or sleep apnea.
Few Natural Ways Of Sleeping Better
- Create a Sleep Routine: Try not to stay late on your bed in the day, even on the weekends. For this will only cause more sleep issues. Try going to bed at the same time every night as this will help you maintain your internal sleep/wake clock and allows you to fall asleep without struggle.
- Change in Diet: You should reduce the foods that contain caffeine like tea, chocolates, coffee, soft drinks, etc. Have a light dinner and go to sleep at least 2 hours after bedtime. Avoid spicy foods that can cause heartburn or indigestion.
- Avoid Smoking: The chain smokers remain more restless at night than those who don’t smoke. Smokers also tend to feel issues like sleep apnea, trouble breathing, asthma, etc. It is suggested to at least stop smoking while going to the bed.
- Hog The Bed: It is said that having dogs or kids at the bed can disrupt sleep as they are bad sleepers. But we would suggest you get a bed with more space if you have kids or dogs as sleep companions. If you are single then we would suggest you go with any of the bed size between split king or twin xl beds. Want to understand the difference between split king vs twin xl? Well, a split king bed is a normal king size bed that is divided into two halves which allows each sleeper his own space which he can customise on his own. Each sleeper gets the same space dimension of about 38 inches by 80 inches.
On the other hand, Twin XL beds are 30 inches by 80 inches which is exactly half the size of a whole split king bed. Growing teenagers, tall adults etc are the ones who mostly use this bed size. This bed size is also very common in the school dorms, guest rooms etc.They are also apt for studios and small apartments with limited space.
- Darken Your Sleep Place: It is not always possible to sleep with lights on. Light sends a signal to our brains that it is time to wake up. So try to darken your room while sleeping. Even lights flashing from your phone or the computer screen can also disrupt sleep and also melatonin production.
The Bottom Line
So, in this article, we discussed how important sleeping positions are for having a healthy body and mind. These positions must be understood and practiced so that we don’t face any physical illness like joint pains or fix shoulders. Also are discussed some of the habits that can help you sleep better. You can follow these procedures and can experience positive results.