The hallway of the house is something people often forget about. It’s the first place people step into the house, but it’s often the last place that’s considered when you renovate or redecorate. Hallways don’t have to be the space that you forget, though, and when it comes to decor and design, there are so many ways that you can truly make an entrance. Your home is supposed to be welcoming from the first moment that people step into the house, and with the right design tips, you can ensure that your guests will feel welcome from the moment they arrive.
Hallways catch the eye of all those passing through them, and they can be a functional space if you know how to use them properly. You can take a look here to see how you can decorate your hallway and you will be able to make your home look fantastic. Below, we’ve got a list of tips you need to ensure that your hallway really does make a statement. Let’s take a look!
- Use runners. The moment people step in the door, your hallway should pop. One of the best ways to do that is with runner rugs. These are around three feet wide and can vary in length, so whether you want them to stretch the length of the hallway or not, it’s completely up to you. You can choose to use these as a way to add layers to your hallway, and you can even see the textures when you have rugs on top of carpet. They add warmth and color, and all hallways need these!
2. Don’t forget to add storage. The hallway may be smaller than most places in the house, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t have storage. You can do so much more with your hallway when you realise that floating shelves, bookshelves and box storage can all sit here quite comfortably! You can turn the entire hall into a library if you want to, and that will make the space look fantastic, functional and beautiful all at the same time.
3. Upgrade your hallway lighting. For your hallways to be more welcoming, make sure that you add the right amount of lighting into the space. One of the best ways to maximise the space in the hallway is to make sure that you properly light it up. From lanterns and pendant lights to glass globes and beautiful lighting, you can ensure that your guests (and you!) can find your way around.
4. Add some seating. Hallways are the place where shoes and coats are stored. It makes sense, then, that you would add seating to be comfortable enough to get your shoes on and be ready for the day. A seated area is a good addition to the decor of your hallway and if you have a wider hall, you can double up the seating with a large shoe chest!
5. Maximise the light with mirrors. If you have a smaller, darker hallway, why don’t you add mirrors? The light will bounce off the mirrors and into the four corners of the hallway, and you can then light up the rest of the space. Mirrors are also a place that you can check yourself out before you leave the house, so make sure that you choose one that will fit the colors and the decor you choose.
6. Upgrade your flooring. Hallways don’t have to be carpeted if you don’t want them to be. It’s traditional for a hallway to have lino or vinyl flooring anyway, as it’s a place where muddy, messy shoes make contact in the house. You don’t have to stick to something boring, though, not when there are plenty of patterns to pick from out there! You can use patterned flooring to accentuate the hallway, and this will be well set off by your runners that we talked about earlier!
7. Don’t forget the plants. A hall table just isn’t complete without a large vase full of flowers, or some houseplants. You can really make the hallway look beautiful when you remember that bringing the outside in is a great way to add to the space. Your hallway project just isn’t complete without plants and flowers, and you could even have a floral wall installed in the hallway to add some pizazz!
The hallway is the first place people see. How do you want to decorate yours so that it stands out among every other room in the house?