Chocolate Orange Polenta Cake
- 230g Merchant Gourmet Dried Polenta
- 200g ground almonds
- 50g buckwheat flour
- 4 tsp arrowroot flour
- 5 tbsp cacao powder
- Zest + Juice 2 oranges
- 3 tbsp chia seeds mixed with 8 tbsp water
- 250ml almond milk
- 180ml maple syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil + extra for greasing
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
For the orange glaze
- Juice + Zest 1 orange
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 degrees celsius.
- Add the chia seeds to a small bowl or mug and combine with the water. Set aside for 10 minutes until a gel forms.
- Heat the 3 tablespoons of coconut oil in a pan until it melts.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the cake ingredients (including the thickened chia seed mixture and melted coconut oil). Stir until really well combined.
- Grease a 18cm cake tin with coconut oil then spoon in the cake mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until you can poke a knife through the middle and it comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool for 30 minutes.
- To make the glaze, simply add the ingredients to a saucepan and heat on a low-medium temperature until everything is smooth and a kind of syrup forms.