Moving furniture is a boring activity. Just when you decide to change your old furniture, all you think about is how am I going to move all this wood? You need to do a lot of work like making inventory lists, measuring, packing and unpacking. And the worst, you can damage your furniture, walls, and cause serious injuries by lifting weight.
All you can do is try disassembling and packing on your own. Remember furniture disposal can be very tough.
How to disassemble old furniture?
• Decide if you want to move it
First, decide if it is necessary to move that item of furniture. If it is really old and damaged, it is most possible that you wouldn’t be able to take it apart without causing any more damage.
Second, if that piece of furniture is really important for you and your family, you might wish to sell it and earn some money. This is always a good method if you don’t need that item anymore.
• Get the right tools to disassemble antique furniture
If you’re doing it yourself, you can’t do the disassembly using your hands only. To dismantle old furniture carefully, you need some basic set of tools that you can easily find in specific stores. For this job, you will use:
• a set of screwdrivers
• a set of wrenches
• a hammer
• special tools if necessary
How to disassemble an old wardrobe?
- Empty and take away all the drawers and shelves.
- Remove the glass parts using special screwdrivers
- Unscrew the hinges and remove the doors.
- If not glued, try unscrewing all the additional parts.
How to dismantle an old bed?
- Remove the bed linen, mattress, and drawers
- Unscrew the headboard and then the sideboards
- Pull to pieces the bed frame if it isn’t glued.
How to disassemble old chairs, armchairs, and sofas?
- Remove the cushions.
- Unscrew the legs.
- Take apart all other parts that you simply can
How to take old desks and tables apart?
- Take out all the drawers, trays, glass, or other tops.
- For desks, unscrew all the parts to separate the elements.
- As for tables, turn them the wrong way up and unscrew the legs.
What if I can’t disassemble old furniture by myself?
If you feel like you don’t have enough time or you find it very difficult and risky, ask for some help. You can find loads of experts and movers that can disassemble old furniture safely and professionally. Those people are professionals and will make it easier for you. Old furniture disassembles services provide effective, safe, and eco-friendly furniture removal so you don’t need to worry about the pickup or disposal of those old items. Besides that, they make sure that your old furniture items end up in the right place. If the pieces of furniture are still in good shape they send it to a charity for a donation, or they send them to a recycling facility to dispose of old furniture in an eco-friendly way.