It’s crucial always to keep your data safe. This is also true when you’re exploring the world. It doesn’t matter whether you’re at home or in another country; the same cyber threats exist when you’re using a public Wi-Fi network. That’s why you need to take the same steps regardless of where you’re located.
Luckily, we live in an era where digital connectivity can be secured with a Virtual Private Network (VPN). VPNs are a brilliant way of safeguarding your online activities as you travel. In the first half of 2023, VPN downloads reached 130 million, showing that the masses are realising their usefulness.
1. Encrypting Your Connection
When you’re abroad, Public Wi-Fi connections are a very helpful way of browsing on your device. For this reason, many venues will allow you to use their network. For instance, you may head into a bar or café to use their Wi-Fi. When you do this, you’re putting the device you’re using at risk of being hacked.
Regardless of whether you’re accessing the web on a smartphone or a laptop, the device will still be at risk. This is why a VPN is essential. A VPN encrypts your connection, allowing you to browse on a public network with far fewer concerns.
2. Dodging Cyber Spies with Anonymity
If you ever feel concerned about your privacy when online, then a VPN can help by concealing your real IP address. This makes it seem as if you’re located somewhere else completely. Falsifying your location in this way can add an extra step to your online security measures and make it more difficult for hackers to track you.
This leaves you free to enjoy your online experience without worrying about potential virtual surveillance. Check out Surfshark VPN to discover how useful this software is.
3. A VPN Helps To Bypass Geo-restrictions
Using a VPN means you’re still able to stay up to date on new shows and movies while you’re away. Half of all users say they use VPNs to consume content that they’re otherwise unable to. VPNs make this possible by making streaming services believe you are in the country where your desired media is available.
Here are a few reasons why this is useful:
- VPNs Allow You To Watch Shows From Back Home: As well as keeping up with shows back home, you can also access content that’s only available in other regions.
- You Can Work Around Censorship: In certain countries, some sites or streaming platforms are restricted. VPNs mean you can bypass these limitations and gain unrestricted access to the content of your choice.
- You’ll be Protected Against “Throttling”: Some internet service providers may limit your connection speed, and this is known as throttling. VPNs can help prevent this by masking your online activities. This stops the provider from being aware of your streaming usage and limiting it.
Why Should You Care?
Whether it’s at the airport, hotel, or a local café, these networks are a breeding ground for hackers. They can easily intercept your data, from passwords to personal messages. Your online banking or sensitive work emails may also be a risk.
You’ll more than likely be making use of public Wi-Fi networks when you’re out of the country, so using a VPN becomes a necessity. However, enhanced security is a big reason to use a VPN, its recreational advantages also aren’t to be ignored. Staying entertained on your travels is just as important as staying safe, and VPNs supply both services.