Branston is inviting you to dust off your aprons and pick up your rolling pins. The iconic British brand will host a limited-edition sourdough workshop with Bread Ahead Bakery School – one of London’s favourite bakeries, situated in the heart of Chelsea. The class will demonstrate the art of baking the perfect Branston Pickle Loaf on Sunday 29th September.
The masterclass will teach bread fans how to put a twist on the traditional sourdough recipe by incorporating bold and flavourful Branston Pickle – creating a tangy moreish mix. The recipe has been created by Bread Ahead Bakery’s Executive Head Baker, Aidan Chapman, who will be putting attendees through their paces during the three-hour masterclass, catering to all levels of experience.
Attendees will be able to create the ultimate cheese and pickle sandwich using their freshly baked creations, proving that cheese is the perfect partner to the Branston pickle loaf! Loved by generations of families, this iconic sandwich filler – available in original, smooth and small chunk – continues to inspire many to bring out the Branston to create delicious cheese and pickle sandwiches.
The Branston Pickle x Bread Ahead Bakery Masterclass will run for three hours on Sunday 29th September, starting at 2pm. Tickets cost just £35 per person (usual price: £90 per person). To book your place, please visit www.breadahead.com.
There are limited spaces on offer, so be sure to book your space quick!
For anyone looking to roll up their sleeves for Sourdough September at home, you can also try your hand at recreating the delicious Branston Pickle bread recipe below.
Branston Pickle Sourdough Bread Recipe
Preparation time: 4 hours. Baking time: 40 minutes. Serves: 12-14 good slices
- 500g strong white bread flour
- 55g wholemeal bread flour
- 370g water
- 13g fine sea salt
- 170g liquid white sour starter
- 150g Original Branston Pickle (7.5 tablespoons)
Preparing the dough:
- Place both flours in a bowl and mix together
- Add 350g of your water at 28°C
- Combine with the flour to make a dough
- Cover and leave to rest for 30 minutes
- Add sour starter, salt and the rest of the water
- Bring together to form a dough, then develop by hand for 10 minutes or by mixer on a slow speed with hook attachment for 6 minutes
- Once mixed, place in a lightly oiled bowl
- Give dough a fold. Ensure all corners fold over, and leave for 45 minutes
- Give a second fold, and leave for 45 minutes
- Give a third fold, and leave for 45 minutes
- As you fold the sides over spread a 1/4 of Branston Pickle on each layer
- Cover and leave for 45 minutes
- Now pre-shape the dough into a light ball and place onto a lightly oiled surface
- Cover and leave for 30 minutes
To shape the bread:
- You will need a round bread basket, heavily dusted with flour
- Take your dough and turn it upside down
- Bring all the corners over to meet in the middle, then stitch the dough together down the middle
- Turn-over and bring together to form a ball
- Place into your floured basket seam side up
- Leave at room temperature for two hours before placing in the fridge for 12-18 hours
Baking the bread:
- The next day you are ready to bake! Pre-heat oven 250°C or Gas Mark 8
- For best results place a cast iron pot into the oven and ensure the dough fits (a), or place a tray in the oven to heat (b)
- a) If baking in a pot:
- Place dough into pot, and slash a square on top
- Place lid on and bake for 30 minutes
- Take lid off and bake for a further 10 minutes
b) If baking on a tray:
- Take out of the oven and place bread on the tray
- Slash a square on top
- Place in oven with a small container of water for the steam
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Take loaf out of the oven and allow to cool