Chestnut, Mushroom and Sage Roast
For the roast
- 2 x 180g pouches of Merchant Gourmet Whole Chestnuts
- 250g of chopped chestnut mushrooms
- 3 chopped medium carrots
- 1 finely chopped white onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup of roughly chopped almonds
- ½ cup of sultanas
- ½ cup of brown rice flavour
- 3 tablespoons of flaxseeds + 6 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped sage
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- Start by preheating the oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a small bowl mix the flaxseeds with water. Leave them onto one side for 5-10 minutes until they assume a gloopy kind of consistency.
- In a casserole pan heat up 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Add the chopped onion and the chopped carrots and gently fry them for 5-7 minutes until the onion have softened. Add the grated garlic cloves. Cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the chopped mushrooms, rosemary, sage and nutmeg and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Chop 1 pack of chestnut in bite size pieces. Put them on one side. With a fork mash down the 2nd pack of chestnut until you have a crumbly flour.
- Add the chopped almonds, sultanas, the flaxseeds, salt and pepper, chopped chestnut and the chestnut “flour” to the pan. Mix everything well together.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the brown rice flour, combine everything well together.
- Line a bread tin with parchment paper. Pour the mixture into the tin and press it down with a spatula or with your hands.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- Half way through cover the top with some foil to prevent the top from burning.
- Once the roast is cooked remove it from the oven and slice it before serving.