The top ten fish and chips shops in the UK have been announced by the 2017 National Fish & Chip Awards, organised by Seafish. The 10 businesses will now compete for the Independent Fish and Chip Restaurant of the Year Award in order to claim the title of ‘the best fish and chip restaurant in the UK.’
In order to reach this stage the restaurants have faced appraisal by industry experts across a wide variety of judging criteria. In the coming weeks they will be subjected to further mystery shopping assessments and in-depth judging audits.
The 10 finalists are as follows:
- Trenchers Restaurant in Whitby, North Yorkshire
- Mister C’s in Selby, North Yorkshire
- Harbour Lights in Falmouth, Cornwall
- Lloyds in Lampeter, Ceredigion
- The Fisherman’s Wife in Whitby, North Yorkshire
- The Elite Fish & Chip Company in Lincoln, Lincolnshire
- The Pelican in Barnstaple, Devon
- Catch Fish and Chips in Glasgow, East Renfrewshire
- Seafresh Restaurant in Pimlico, London
- Something Else Fishy in Sherborne, Somerset
The next stage of the competition will see five of the ten restaurants making it through to the next phase where the remaining businesses will battle for first place. The top accolade will be presented at the awards ceremony held in London in January next year.
Chief Executive of Seafish, Marcus Coleman, said: “This award recognises our country’s best fish and chip restaurants for their commitment and high level of professionalism across all aspects of running a successful restaurant.
“The quality of entries this year has been outstanding; I know the judges were extremely impressed with the businesses’ in-depth knowledge and thorough understanding of our industry – it was a tough job determining a final 10.
“I would like to thank our finalists for upholding our industry’s high standards, helping us to reinforce the UK’s reputation as the home of the world’s best fish and chips.”