- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 35 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion
- 450g cooked beetroot (not vinegared)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100g garden peas
- Leaves from 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 300g wholegrain barley (not pearl barley) or wholegrain brown rice
- 1 litre of a good liquid chicken or vegetable stock (reduced salt)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 100g reduced fat feta
- Leaves from ½ bunch of fresh mint
- 25g flaked almonds, toasted
Recipe Allergens: tree nuts (almonds), milk (feta), and celery (stock cube depending on stock used).
- 1. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over a low-medium heat. Sauté the onion for about 10 minutes until really soft.
- 2. Meanwhile, pop the beetroot in a blender, puree until smooth as possible and set aside.
- 3. Add the garlic and rosemary to the softened onion and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the barley or rice and cook for 1 minute more. Add a quarter of the stock and stir regularly until it has been absorbed. Then add another quarter of the stock and continue this process until all has been used up and the rice is tender. This will take 20-25 minutes.
- 4. As the rice is cooking, cook the garden peas until they are tender then drain and set aside.
- 5. Stir in the beetroot to the rice pan and season to taste. Warm through for a couple of minutes until piping hot, then stir in the drained peas.
- 6. Spoon the risotto onto serving plates and crumble over the feta cheese. Scatter over the mint, flaked almonds and serve.
*This recipe was developed by Aptaclub at part of their Eating for 2 Campaign, together with Chef Lorraine Pascale.